Friday, October 24, 2008

More baby things

Here's my latest project for baby Kyle. It's a warm wrap with a hood. I got the pattern out of Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones book. Pooh was gracious enough to pose for a photo so you can see how the snugli works.


I'm not overly thrilled with how it turned out and here's why (if you're interested):
  1. Sewing with fleece is hard. It shifts and stretches. I probably shouldn't have tried using fleece for the very first time for a project like this. I think a nice flannel would work just fine, then I can put cotton batting in between. I'm considering taking the entire thing apart and starting over using flannel.
  2. The pattern calls for the side strips that go on the inside of the snugli. I don't think I like them. Next time I'm leaving them out.
  3. Amy Butler patterns, as much as I love her designs, are very time consuming and use a lot of materials. Seriously, for many of her patterns you'd spend less money just buying the product from the store than trying to make it yourself. She calls for all kinds of materials that I personally don't think are necessary.
  4. Her Little Stitches book is very hard to read. I have her In Stitches book and it's soooo much easier to follow the instructions. In fact, this is the 3rd project from Little Stitches I've tried, and each one has a little error in the instructions. When you're sewing, little errors can lead to tons of seam ripping.
Anyway, it's a cute idea and I think with a few of my own modifications, I'll be happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment