Thursday, October 28, 2010

What Not to Say in Front of Your Toddler

So being the ever observant child that Kyle is, Matt and I have had to really be careful about what we say or do in front of Kyle. Now don't worry, it's not as if we're cursing and throwing things around the house, but on occasion one of us (me) slips and says a not so nice word in front of Kyle. And it comes back to bite me for a few days afterward. He'll say that particular word over and over after we (I) have said it. We just ignore it and he stops pretty fast.

Thankfully, he hasn't said inappropriate things out in public...yet. It's coming, though, right along with a gigantic public meltdown. Knowing Kyle, he'll probably do it all at once.

But I digress.

So the other day, Kyle and I were watching his newest YouTube obsession at the computer and he started banging on the keyboard (as usual), I told him to stop hitting the keyboard (about 100 times), and then he proceeded to punch in a series of commands that zoomed in the screen 200% and locked the mouse so that I couldn't use it. How he did this is beyond me. So my first words were, "Oh sh*t, what did you just do?!" (Because I was expecting an answer from him.) I didn't really think about what I'd just said (obviously).

Mind you, I was not yelling at him or mad at him, I was just very surprised at his keyboard command skills and had no idea how to fix it. Alas, he kept punching buttons and all became right again.

Fast forward two days (and no one has uttered that phrase since) and we're building block towers and smashing them down with all our might. Fun times! Well Kyle is stacking some blocks and he gets about 3 high when they fall over. What does he say? "Oh sh*t!"

I about fell over, not only because he said that phrase, but because he used it in the correct setting...like he actually knew what it meant!

I know, I shouldn't get excited about a toddlers proper use of curse words, but it was pretty funny anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment