Well this week, it's a whole new ballgame. He's had an opinion since birth, but boy oh boy, it's getting stronger everyday. He's now decided to freak out when we try to put him down for a nap or bedtime. F-R-E-A-K O-U-T. It's quite comical actually. And I only say that because he's putting on such a show! He cries and yells but there isn't a tear in sight!
Here's what our typical eat-wake-sleep routine has been this week:
- 7:45am- Kyle wakes up with a toothless grin. He's totally happy and adorable. He has breakfast right away, then it's play time.
- 8:15-ish to 9:15- Play time. This can involve kicking and punching on his activity mat, watching his fishies in the crib, swinging, sitting in his big boy chair watching mommy put on makeup, swinging with mommy on the hammock, taking a stroll around the yard...lots of fun times.
- 9:15-ish he starts to get sleepy because his eyes are getting red and he keeps rubbing them and yawning. Dead giveaway, right?
We go to his room and I put him on the changing pad and start getting him swaddled in his swaddler. This is a game for him. He starts kicking and punching trying to not be swaddled. All the while he's giggling and smiling. He's strong and quick which makes the process difficult.
Once he realizes he's 'trapped' the drama starts. He goes from happy baby to fire-breathing baby in a matter of .05 seconds.
Yelling and screaming. Face turning red. Back is arching. He's about to launch himself out of my arms onto the concrete floor.
So I get his nubby and we sit in the rocking chair while I talk quietly and rock him. Doesn't work. Spits out his nubby. He's yelling so loud he can't hear me.
I go back into his room where it's cool and dark. I shush him and rub is head. His eyes start rolling back and he takes his nubby. Ahh...we're getting somewhere.
I begin to lay him down and as soon as he realizes what's happening he begins to freak out again. By then, it's been about 10 minutes so I'm starting to get tired. I lay him down, rub his head, tell him it's nap time, then leave the room. I let him cry for about three minutes before I go back in to tell him 'night night.' This goes on 1-2 times before he finally gives in to sleep. Now imagine doing this 2-3 times per day.
Putting him to bed for the night... now that's a whole other blog post!
It's very interesting to watch a 3 1/2 month old try to work the system. Mommy always wins though! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment