Thursday, September 8, 2011

First Day of School!

Kyle started a new school this year. We'd been at his other Mother's Day Out for about 1 1/2 years, but I wasn't too thrilled with it for a lot of reasons, so we decided to put him in a real preschool this year. The preschool still follows the same Mother's Day Out day/time schedule of other places, but they have a set curriculum for each age group, whereas most Mother's Day Out programs are mostly just babysitting with no real learning going on.

Matt and I are really excited about this new school. It's one of the better ones in our area and we actually got the last spot for Kyle's class this year. They had a Meet the Teacher event on Tuesday where we met his teachers, then there was a 45 min parent meeting that discussed the school, events, learning goals, etc. We left feeling really good about what Kyle will be doing 2 days a week. I'm mostly excited about Chapel time that he'll have each week. They will be learning scripture and doing small Bible lessons all year!

Anyway, today was Kyle's first day at his new school.  As I expected, he didn't want to go. And as I expected, there were tears...from both of us.

So let me just tell you how it went down. We got to school and everything was fine. Kyle was jabbering the whole way to the building and acting happy. Once we got inside though, it all changed. First let me tell you that I was carrying Beck in his car carrier, Kyle's nap mat, Kyle's backpack and his lunch box. My hands were tied up and the bandito knew it. As soon as we went inside, he took off running out of my reach around the lobby area and then went straight to the playscape and hid under it. I couldn't convince him to come out. Of course, I couldn't do much convincing grabbing or dragging with all the stuff I was carrying. I stood there for a minute just totally lost of what to do. Do I put Beck and all the gear down and crawl under the playscape to get him out? Do I lug all the stuff over there and try? Do I start loudly threatening him with a spanking (which so would not bother him...but that's for another story)?

None of those options were going to work, so I grabbed the first teacher I saw and said, "Can you help me? That blonde stinker under the playscape is mine and he won't come out. And this little guy is mine too...and I don't know what to do!" She graciously got Kyle out and led us to our classroom all the while talking to Kyle about how much fun he was going to have, etc.

As soon as we got to his room, she set him down because he was wanting me and he promptly threw himself on the floor in the hallway and started screaming and crying. Yep, that was my child. The teacher took Beck from me so I could pick up Kyle and take him to his room. He's clinging to me as hard as he can, crying and saying he wanted to go home. Miss Lynn had to pry him off my neck as he's screaming for mommy and sobbing his little heart out. It was PAINFUL for both of us. Of course, I had to just tell him I loved him and leave immediately. Thank goodness for that teacher who helped me...otherwise Kyle would probably still be under the playscape! Beck slept through the entire debacle, thankfully!

So I picked up Kyle at 2pm and he (and most of his class) was passed out for nap time. It took me a good 5 minutes to wake him. Once he woke up he climbed into my lap and do you know what the first words out of his mouth were? "I had so much fun today!"  Hooray! Hopefully next Tuesday will go a little better.

Here are his 'first day of school' pictures for 2011.

Doesn't he look THRILLED??

Much better...that's the smile I love to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment