Friday, November 7, 2008

Mmm...pumpkin bread!

Small rant: I hate my oven, I hate my oven, I hate my oven. There are days (today) where I have to force myself to be thankful that we even have an oven. There are also days (today) when I just wish the blasted thing would die so we could get a new one! End rant.

(Photo from Simply Recipes)


Today I made pumpkin bread for the first time ever. So yummy! At least I think so. No one else is here yet to confirm its yumminess. It's a super easy recipe that uses olive oil instead of butter. I know...I thought that was weird too, but the texture and taste of the bread are perfect.

Here's the recipe with my notes in red. You can also get it here: Simply Recipes

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pumpkin purée
1/2 cup olive oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I left these out because I don't like nuts in my breads. Matt does, but since he's not baking he doesn't get to choose. I know that's mean...but that's how much I don't like nuts in my bread!)

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.

2 Mix the pumpkin, oil, eggs, 1/4 cup of water, and spices together, then combine with the dry ingredients, but do not mix too thoroughly. Stir in the nuts.

3 Pour into a well-buttered 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes until a thin skewer poked in the very center of the loaf comes out clean. Turn out on rack to cool. Let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then let it finish cooling on a rack. Trust me on this. If you immediately take it out of the pan it will tear.

Makes one loaf. Can easily double the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment