I don't have any pictures for this post, but it's a good read. You may remember that Kyle started swim lessons at the end of February. The first one went really well, but since then they have gone down hill. Fast. Like an avalanche. Out of control. We're talking screaming, crying, stamping of feet, bribing, begging, and bargaining. And that was just me.
In all seriousness, after the first swim lesson Kyle just didn't want to get back in the pool. I'm there every time watching him so I know that the instructors are doing a good job, they're patient with the kids, and he's not in danger.
Every week, Kyle says the same thing: "I don't want to go to swim school. Will you get in the pool with me? I don't want to get wet. I think the pool is out of water, so we need to go home."
And every week my responses are the same: "I know you don't want to go, but sometimes we have to do things we don't want to. No, mommy's can't get in the pool with the kids- grown ups aren't allowed. You like getting wet. I called Ms. Courtney and made sure that the pool has water in it today."
And every week, I offer up the same bribes. M&M's and having a 'guys only' lunch with Daddy at his office on Wednesdays. Yes, I bribe my child. Don't judge.
And every week, he decides that he'd rather scream and cry and not participate in swim lessons. Sigh. You'd think just the idea of getting candy would be incentive enough for a three year old!
His lessons have escalated from crying and clinging to my leg, to screaming the entire time while in the water and not participating, to finally (last week) screaming, crying, wrapping himself around me, and it taking THREE people to get his clothes off and into the pool. Yes, THREE people.
Can I just tell you how fantastic I felt about that episode? Literally everyone in the facility stopped what they were doing and watched the show. I felt like the worst mommy EVER for making her kid get in the pool when he CLEARLY didn't want to. For a brief moment, I had this fear of, "Oh my gosh, he's terrified of the water, am I traumatizing him for life?" Yeah, that lasted all of about 30 seconds when the director finally got him in the water and he stopped screaming and started listening to her. Then he'd look over at me and start yelling again. Then listen to her. Then look at me and scream.
Uh-huh. I'm on to you, boy. I've got you all figured out. What it seems to have boiled down to is that he is super strong-willed
(duh) and does not appreciate anyone telling him what to do and when to
do it. I know someone like that. She's sitting behind the computer
typing this blog post.
Going to swim lessons has been an anxious adventure for me every week. Is he going to freak out again? Is this money literally going down the drain? Who's going to win this battle?
Fast forward to this past week...
I'm not sure what happened but our sweet boy willingly participated in his swim lesson. Without screams. Without tears. With lots of smiles. He even took his shoes and clothes off five minutes before class started; to date he does not get down to his swimsuit until his name is called and I have to demand that he take them off.
The change in him was so great that the instructors and the director were giving him lots of props and high fives for doing such a great job! He ate.it.up. I wish I'd had video of the happy smile on his face when he was getting his major recognition. It was precious and priceless.
There was still bribing involved, M&M's and lunch with Daddy, but I will take it. There are only 5 lessons left...he can do it, he can do it...miracles do happen!
No comments:
Post a Comment