Friday, July 1, 2011

If I Have This Conversation One More Time...

I may scream! I've had these conversations no less than 20 times in the past few months...

Stranger: "When are you due?"
Me: "Mid- August."
Stranger responses:
  • "Oh my gosh, that's an awful time of year to be having a baby!" (No, I think this past February when we were all locked in our homes for days on end because of the snowstorm would be the worst time to have a baby.  Because with my luck, the baby would've been born here at home.  But thanks for the encouragement.)
  • "August! You poor thing. It's soooo hot that time of year." (Newsflash: It's been 100 degrees EVERYDAY since the beginning of June. Trust me, I know it's hot. I don't need a reminder.)
  • "Ugh, I would never want to have a baby in August." (I didn't ask you to.)
  • "Well you didn't plan that one very well, did you?" (I actually laughed at this because it came from Kyle's pediatrician, who is a total smart alleck, so he got a pass from me wanting to slug him.)
Stranger: "Do you know if you're having a girl or boy?"
Me: "Another boy!"
Stranger responses:
  • "Good luck." (Thanks?)
  • "Oh, I had two boys too. It's not so bad." (Huh?)
  • "Do you think you'll try for a girl next time?" (Who said anything about next time? It's not a game. Besides, do you have an extra $100k lying around that I can have to help raise this imaginary third child?)
  • "Don't you want a girl? They're so much easier than boys." (Um, ok. I'm a girl. I know the emotional drama that I'm capable of. Poor Matt doesn't need anymore estrogen in this house. And aren't ALL kids hard to deal with at some point?)
Oh, people. The things they say to pregnant women...

No comments:

Post a Comment