Thursday, July 21, 2011

This is Soooo Not Funny!

Over the past five days, our little blonde bandito has decided that he doesn't need naps. Seriously, this is like a cruel joke that someone is playing on me. Ugh! Baby Beck is due ANY DAY and Kyle decides that he doesn't want to have 'relax time' anymore.  I tell him that he doesn't have to go to sleep, but he's gotta stay in his bed until relax time is over. This used to work so well, and now all the sudden it's stopped. And I mean stopped, big time. He will stay in his crib for an entire hour protesting and trying every stall tactic he can think of.
For example, today his protests consisted of:
  • "Mommy, I'm cold. I need my blankie."
  • "Mommy, I'm hot. Take this blankie off."
  • "Mommy, leave my door open."
  • "I don't want to get in bed."
  • "Can't we just get up and watch Oswald?"
  • "Mommy, I'm hungry."
  • "Mommy, help me. Mommy, I need help."
I ignored all of it, except when he said he needed help...that was a new one and I wasn't sure if he really needed help or if it was another tactic. It was definitely the latter.

I'm not really sure what to do about it. Obviously, I can't force him to sleep, but if he's not going to nap it would be nice if he'd just chill out for at least an hour so that I can have some downtime. It is a lot of work keeping an active toddler busy from 7am-7pm, especially when it's a million degrees outside!

But Matt and I really think he needs a nap during the day...because by 5pm he's cranky and delirious. He started crying last night while I was helping him eat spaghetti because some of the bites were too big. I know he's two, but that's a little over the top to be freaking out about! Plus, no naps means that he has to go to bed around 6:30 or 7...just a few minutes after Matt gets home from work.

Blah! I really hope this is just another short-lived phase that he's going through. I bet it's all part of his plan...get mommy and daddy comfortable in a routine then throw them off track with a new phase that leaves them scratching their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment